What's new and what's changed (relative to LibRaw 0.19):
Camera Format support
- Canon CR3
- GoPro (via GPR SDK)
- Panasonic 14-bit
- Fujifilm compressed/16bit
- Rapsberry Pi RAW+JPEG format (if USE_6BY9RPI defined)
- Foveon X3F support changed: it is supported only if USE_X3FTOOLS defined at build (see below for 'Imported code policy changed')
Camera support (+59, 1131 total)
- Canon: PowerShot G5 X Mark II, G7 X Mark III, SX70 HS, EOS R, EOS RP, EOS 90D, EOS 250D, EOS M6 Mark II, EOS M50, EOS M200, EOS 1DX Mark III (lossless files only)
- DJI Mavic Air, Air2, Osmo Action
- FujiFilm GFX 100, X-A7, X-Pro3, X100V, X-T4, X-T200
- GoPro Fusion, HERO5, HERO6, HERO7, HERO8
- Hasselblad L1D-20c, X1D II 50C
- Leica D-LUX7, Q-P, Q2, V-LUX5, C-Lux / CAM-DC25, SL2, M10 Monochrom
- Nikon D780, Z50, P950
- Olympus TG-6, E-M5 Mark III, E-PL10, E-M1 Mark III,
- Panasonic DC-FZ1000 II, DC-G90, DC-S1, DC-S1R, DC-S1H, DC-TZ95
- PhaseOne IQ4 150MP
- Ricoh GR III
- Sony A7R IV, A9 II, ILCE-6100, ILCE-6600, RX0 II, RX100 VII
- Zenit M
- also multiple smartphones (the tested ones are listed in LibRaw::cameraList)
Source code re-arranged
- dcraw.c is not used in the generation and build processes
- dcraw_common.cpp and libraw_cxx.cpp are split into multiple code chunks placed in separate subfolders (decoders/ for raw data decoders, metadata/ for metadata parsers, etc)
- dcraw_common.cpp and libraw_cxx.cpp remain to preserve existing build environments (these files are now just a bunch of #include directives).
- It is possible to build LibRaw (It may be useful to reduce library memory/code footprint.)
- without postprocessing functions (dcraw_process() and called function)
- without postprocessing and LibRaw::raw2image() call (and called function).
- See Makefile.devel.nopp and Makefile.devel.noppr2i for the list of source files needed to build reduced/stripped library.
There is a huge number of identical cameras sold under different names,
depending on the market (e.g. multiple Panasonic or Canon models) and even
some identical cameras sold under different brands
(Panasonic -> Leica, Sony -> Hasselblad).
To reduce clutter, a normalization mechanism has been implemented in
- char normalized_make; - primary vendor name (e.g. Panasonic for Leica re-branded cameras)
- char normalized_model; - primary camera model name
- unsigned maker_index; - primary vendor name in indexed form (enum LibRaw_cameramaker_index, LIBRAW_CAMERAMAKER_* constant).
These fields are always filled upon LibRaw::open_file()/open_buffer()
const char* LibRaw::cameramakeridx2maker(int index): converts maker_index to normalized_make.
We recommend that you use these normalized names in a variety of data tables (color profiles, etc.) to reduce the number of duplicate entries.
New vendor index values will be added strictly to the end of the LibRaw_cameramaker_index table, ensuring that the numbers assigned to vendors that are already known to LibRaw will not change.
DNG frame selection (and other changes)
DNG frames selection code re-worked:
- by default all frames w/ the NewSubfileType tag equal to 0 (high-res image) are added to the list of available images (selection performed via imgdata.params.shot_select field, as usual)
- the special case for Fuju SuperCCD (SamplesPerPixel == 2) works as before: shot_select=1 will extract second sub-image.
- Additional flags to imgdata.params.raw_processing_options:
- LIBRAW_PROCESSING_DNG_ADD_ENHANCED - will add Enhanced DNG frame (NewSubfileType == 16) to the list of available frames
- LIBRAW_PROCESSING_DNG_ADD_PREVIEWS - will add previews (NewSubfileType == 1) to the list.
- By default, DNG frames are not reordered and are available in same order as in DNG (LibRaw traverses IFD/Sub-IFD trees in deep-first order). To prioritize the largest image, set LIBRAW_PROCESSING_DNG_PREFER_LARGEST_IMAGE bit in imgdata.params.raw_processing_options.
DNG Stage2/Stage3 processing via DNG SDK (request via flags in raw_processing_options)
Imported code policy disclaimer
We've changed the policy regarding 3rd party code imported into LibRaw:
We (like other authors of open-source RAW parsers) gladly import support
code for various RAW formats from other projects (if the license allows
This is done to expand camera support.
Unfortunately, not all imported code can tolerate truncated or otherwise damaged raw files, as well as arbitrary conditions or arbitrary data; not all authors handle rejecting unexpected input well.
LibRaw is now widely used in various projects, including ImageMagick, which, in turn, is often used on web sites to process any input images, including arbitrary data from unknown users. This opens up wide possibilities for exploiting the various vulnerabilities present in the code borrowed from other projects into LibRaw. In order to avoid such security risks, - the borrowed code will no longer compile by default.
We are not able to support it in general case, and the authors refuse to add code to reject unexpected input.
Thus, if you use some kind of camera for which the support is disabled by default, you need to recompile LibRaw for your specific case.
Formats currently affected:
- X3F (Foveon) file format.
Code is imported from Kalpanika X3F tools: https://github.com/Kalpanika/x3f
To turn the support on, define USE_X3FTOOLS
- Rapsberry Pi RAW+JPEG format.
Code is imported from https://github.com/6by9/dcraw/
To turn the support on, define USE_6BY9RPI
Format support is indicated via LibRaw::capabilities() call with
LIBRAW_CAPS_X3FTOOLS - Foveon support
LIBRAW_CAPS_RPI6BY9 - RPi RAW+JPEG support
GoPro .gpr format support
GoPro format supported via open-source GPR SDK See
README.GoPro.txt for details.
Windows support/Windows unicode (wchar_t*) filenames support
- (old) LibRaw's WIN32 external define split into 3 defines to fine tune compiler/api compatibility:
- LIBRAW_WIN32_DLLDEFS - use to compile DLLs (__dllimport/__dllexport attributes)
- LIBRAW_WIN32_UNICODEPATHS - indicates that runtime has calls/datatypes for wchar_t filenames
- LIBRAW_WIN32_CALLS - use Win32 calls where appropriative (binary mode for files, LibRaw_windows_datastream, _snprintf instead of snprintf, etc).
If the (old) WIN32 macro is defined at compile time, all three new
defines are defined in libraw.h
If not, these defines are defined based on compiler version/libc++ defines
LibRaw::open_file(wchar_t*) is always compiled in under Windows, but if LIBRAW_WIN32_UNICODEPATHS (see above) is not defined, this call will return LIBRAW_NOT_IMPLEMENTED.
Use (LibRaw::capabilities() & LIBRAW_CAPS_UNICODEPATHS) on
runtime to check that this call was really implemented (or check for
#ifdef LIBRAW_WIN32_UNICODEPATHS after #include <libraw.h>)
- tempbuffer_open, subfile_open are not used, so removed from LibRaw_abstract_datastream and derived classes.
- jpeg_src() call implemented using ->read() call and own buffering (16k buffer).
- buffering_off() call added. It should be used in derived classes to switch from buffered reads to unbuffered.
- new flag LIBRAW_WARN_DNGSDK_PROCESSED to indicate decoder used
- LibRaw::open() call, max_buf_size special meaning:
- 1 => open using bigfile_datastream
- 2 => open using file_datastream
- Add support for zlib during configure
- Fixed multiple problems found by OSS-Fuzz
- Lots of changes in imgdata.makernotes (hope someone will document it)
- DNG SDK could be used (if enabled) to unpack multi-image DNG files.
- DNG whitelevel calculated via BitsPerSample if not set via tags.
- DNG: support for LinearDNG w/ BlackLevelRepeat.. pattern
- Generic Arri camera format replaced w/ list of specific camera models in supported cameras list.
- new samples/rawtextdump sample: allows one to dump (small selection) of RAW data in text format.
- +M/-M params (same as in dcraw_emu)
- -L <file-w-filelist> parameter to get file list from a file
- -m paramerer to use mmap'ed IO.
- -t parameter for timing
- samples/dcraw_emu: fixed +M handling
- better support for Nikon Coolscan 16-bit NEF files.
- Visual Studio project files: re-generated to .vcxproj (Visual Studio 2013+), different intermediate folders for different sub-projects to allow 1-step rebuild.
- imgdata.makernotes...cameraspecific: removed the vendor name prefix from variables.
- Bayer images: ensure that even margins have the same COLOR() for both the active sensor area and the full sensor area.
- raw processing flag bit LIBRAW_PROCESSING_CHECK_DNG_ILLUMINANT inverted and renamed to LIBRAW_PROCESSING_DONT_CHECK_DNG_ILLUMINANT. If not set, DNG illuminant will be checked.
- New libraw_decoder_t flags:
- LIBRAW_DECODER_FLATDATA - in-file data could be used as is (if byte order matches), e.g. via mmap()
- LIBRAW_DECODER_FLAT_BG2_SWAPPED - special flag for Sony ARQ: indicates R-G-G2-B channel order in 4-color data
- Camera-recorded image crop data is parsed into imgdata.sizes.raw_inset_crop structure:
- ctop,cleft,cwidth,cheight - crop size.
- aspect - LibRawImageAspects enum (3to2, 4to3, etc)
- New define LIBRAW_NO_WINSOCK2 to not include winsock2.h on compile