Recent comments

Reply to: Variable Contrast   6 hours 54 min ago

Fantastic! Thanks for the recommendations!

Reply to: Variable Contrast   7 hours 29 min ago

A good place to start IMHO is "Image sensors and signal processingfor digital still cameras", edited by Junichi Nakamura and "Way Beyond Monochrome" by Ralph Lambrecht. One book covers the digital part, the other speaks of photographic process.

Reply to: Variable Contrast   8 hours 4 min ago

Got it. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

If you had any book recommendations that help explain how to do this postprocessing, I'd be very interested.

Thanks again, and thanks for making this amazing library available!

Reply to: Variable Contrast   19 hours 35 min ago

FRV does not use LibRaw for raw image postprocessing, only raw decode phase is used (LibRaw::open_file/LibRaw::unpack).

'Variable contrast' curves in FRV are based on real photographic film contrast curves.

Reply to: Flattening dcraw_emu output   6 days 21 hours ago

To get flatten output you may try samples/unprocessed_raw sample

B-channel pattern you show looks ok (one value in 2x2 square), while R-channel is not. Could you please upload raw somewhere and provide the link for in-depth analysis?

Reply to: Question about auto_scale   1 week 2 days ago

1) To disable auto-brightening of images:
- set params.no_auto_bright to 1
- set params.adjust_maximum_thr to 0.0 (in this case, for some cameras you may need to set params.user_sat /white point/ manually to avoid pink tint in highlights)

Afterh that, images (with same exposure) will be processed with same data maximum and no automatic brightening.

2) To adjust brightness (at output stage) use params.bright to some value above 1.0

Reply to: Question about auto_scale   1 week 2 days ago

Thank you so much! Is there any way that I can scale the colors manually, to make the above two images the same?

Also, what does auto_bright exactly do? You said in some post that it changes the histogram to make the image brighter. Is it histogram equalization on the output sRGB image?

Thanks!

Reply to: Limiting white balance in my raw images   1 week 5 days ago

Hi Iliah,

Rawdigger gave me new insight :-)

I open one of my images in rawdigger and noticed that the min and max values for the colours are really different:
(values are min max avg and sigma)
R 2 2521 307 446
G 8 4045 716 1004
B 1 4046 683 1038
G2 5 4045 716 1004
This pef file can be found here:

Is there anything I can do to correct this image (and about 50 other images I have with similar problem)? There are some wedding pictures among them and I'd like to get these fixed...

Regards, Ronald.

Reply to: Limiting white balance in my raw images   1 week 6 days ago

Dear Sir:

There is certain amount of flare, and possibly the exposure was too much, but I can't say for sure without the raw. You can download free trial of our RawDigger and check the exposure yourself of course: https://www.rawdigger.com/download

Reply to: Limiting white balance in my raw images   1 week 6 days ago

Hi Iliah,

I have created a jpg from my raw file, if needed I can also share the raw file. The fact is that for all raw images from a certain day, this effect is present in the same are (left-hand side of each picture). Or is it then the intensity that I need to reduce for the raw image?

Regards, Ronald.

Reply to: Limiting white balance in my raw images   1 week 6 days ago

Dear Sir:

There is no problem with white balance on the image. Possibly you mean that the shot contains blown-out areas, but I can't say how much of those can be brought back as the image you've uploaded is in fact JPEG, not raw PEF.

Reply to: Limiting white balance in my raw images   1 week 6 days ago

Hi Iliah,

if you look at the following picture https://drive.google.com/file/d/1autVVPZejMNJjeltv9E4_o8JqW266qukEw/view... you can see the effect. Does this help to understand the issue with the pictures and what I'd like to accomplish?

Regards, Ronald.

Reply to: Limiting white balance in my raw images   2 weeks 13 hours ago

It is unclear how do you mean saying "white balance set too high". Could you please upload a sample raw and provide a link to it, to better understand the issue?

Reply to: L* gamma   2 weeks 19 hours ago

Just changed (in copy_mem_image code)
From:

gamma_curve(O.gamm[0], O.gamm[1], 2, (t_white << 3) / O.bright);

to

for(int i = 0; i < 1000; i++)
		gamma_curve (O.gamm[0], O.gamm[1], 2, (t_white << 3)/O.bright);

And run Canon 5Ds image though profiler (Intel VTune amplifier). Gamma curve (1000 repetitions) takes 0.619 seconds, so usual one-time run should be about than 0.6 msec
CPU: i7-7700k at base speed.

Other processing: 411ms for decode, 700ms for scale colors, 900ms for (fastest available) linear interpolation, so about 2sec total.

So, gamma_curve is less than 1/3000 of total processing time for such large files.

Either your profiler is wrong, or your math library (pow(), log(), or exp() functions) is incredibly slow.

Reply to: Error in the documentation   2 weeks 20 hours ago

Thank you.

Corrected on site (/documentation) and in current 0.19-branch (to be published on next update)

Reply to: Gamma curve and increasing the exposure   2 weeks 20 hours ago

Yes, this will effectively map [0...max_value/exposure] to full output range.

Reply to: Gamma curve and increasing the exposure   2 weeks 22 hours ago

Well, after some tests and thinking, it downed to me that I should just adjust the gamma curve, there is no point in multiplying everything with a constant multiplyer.

So my function is now like this, and it works (but not exactly how it does in RawTherapee)

void do_color_curve()
{
    int i;
    double resulting_gamma;
    double max_color=original_exposure_max_channels*(1.0f/exposure);

for(i=0;i<65535;i++)
    {
        double i_double=i;

resulting_gamma=pow(i_double/(double)max_color,1.0f/gamma);
        if(resulting_gamma>1)resulting_gamma=1;
        color_curve[i]=resulting_gamma*255;
    }
}
Reply to: L* gamma   2 weeks 1 day ago

I also want to pick a single gamma curve and apply those same remap value to hundreds or thousands of images. So having the ability to directly manipulate the libraw_colordata_t.curve[] data in lieu of defining gammas would be VERY nice. I find on 50mp canon cr2 images calculating the gamma curve remap per image is almost 15s per image on an ivy bridge xeon.

Reply to: Fujifilm Pattern with rawpy   2 weeks 1 day ago

OK, looks like over-optimization in COLOR:

int COLOR(int row, int col)
  {
    return libraw_internal_data.internal_output_params.fuji_width ? FCF(row, col) : FC(row, col);
  }
  int FC(int row, int col) { return (imgdata.idata.filters >> (((row << 1 & 14) | (col & 1)) << 1) & 3); }
  int fcol(int row, int col);

where FCF() is for 'fuji-rotated' images (S5 Pro, etc).

It should be

int COLOR(int row, int col)
  {
    return imgdata.idata.filters < 1000 ? fcol(row,col): (libraw_internal_data.internal_output_params.fuji_width ? FCF(row, col) : FC(row, col));
  }

To be fixed in 0.19 (0.18 is security-only-patches now)

Reply to: Fujifilm Pattern with rawpy   2 weeks 1 day ago

Hi Alex,
I'm the rawpy developer and just had a look at this. I'm using LibRaw::COLOR(row, col) to construct the color pattern matrix, which works fine for non-x-trans images. But for x-trans any value after the first row returns 0. so ::COLOR(1, 0) is 0, as well as ::COLOR(1,1) is 0. I'm using libraw 0.18.2 currently and noticed some x-trans related changes in newer versions: https://github.com/LibRaw/LibRaw/compare/0.18.2...0.18.5 But they seem to be related to security only.
My test image is: http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_x_t1/photos/fujifilm_x_t...
Can you check whether the COLOR method works correctly here? I think there may be a problem.
Thanks!
Maik

Reply to: Getting wrong colors after applying WB and rgb_cam   2 weeks 2 days ago

That was it, thank you very much!
I changed my code to:
libraw_raw2image(raw_struct);
libraw_subtract_black(raw_struct);

And it works very nicely :) (well, still have to do other things now, but the results are much better).

Reply to: Getting SIG_SEGV in xtrans_decode_block (libraw_fuji_compressed.cpp)   2 weeks 2 days ago

Yes, default char type (signed/unsigned) is undefined (although it is signed in all our test/production environments).

We'll change char definition to signed char (or, maybe, to int8_t, will see)

Thank you for reporting the bug.

Amazing, yes you are completely right, that's the reason it was always failing. In gcc, I added
LOCAL_CFLAGS += -fsigned-char
to the make file and it works perfectly and decodes like a charm! As I read, the default of a char is not really defined in c and depends on the architecture, so this error makes perfectly sens. But may there would be a way to explicitly init is as a signed char directly in code so that these things will not happen to others?

Thanks again!

it looks like I know the answer:
q_table is defined as:
char *q_table; /* quantization table */
So, signed char, from -127 to 128.

It is initialized with ..-4...+4 values at lines 110-130.

Is there any chance that your char type is by default unsigned char?

Hi Alex,

so after quite a lot of coffee, I found some kind of translation method to translate the stacktrace to real code lines. Here's the result:

********** Crash dump: **********
signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 2 (SEGV_ACCERR), fault addr 0x7246192bb8

Routine fuji_decode_sample_odd(fuji_compressed_block*, fuji_compressed_params const*, unsigned short*, int, int_pair*) at libraw_fuji_compressed.cpp:490

Routine LibRaw::xtrans_decode_block(fuji_compressed_block*, fuji_compressed_params const*, int) at  libraw_fuji_compressed.cpp:727

Routine LibRaw::fuji_decode_strip(fuji_compressed_params const*, int, long long, unsigned int) at libraw_fuji_compressed.cpp:919

Routine LibRaw::fuji_decode_loop(fuji_compressed_params const*, int, long long*, unsigned int*) at libraw_fuji_compressed.cpp:999

Routine LibRaw::fuji_compressed_load_raw() at libraw_fuji_compressed.cpp:983

Routine LibRaw::unpack() at libraw_cxx.cpp:2811 (discriminator 3)

Routine libraw_unpack at libraw_c_api.cpp:130

Routine Java_com_tssystems_Libraw_open at libraw.c:51

For me it seems like the access of the grads array via the gradient variable runs further than the array, but I'm not sure. What do you think? Does any output of the variables may help?

Just a note: The value of the gradient variable before it fails is 2272 which seems way higher than all others (they are around 250). Maybe there's something going wrong here?

Thanks